Friday, June 10, 2011

Procrastination - Don't do it!

I am learning once again the evils of procrastination. You'd think I would have learned this specific lesson by now, as I've been struggling with it my entire life.

In 13 days, my brother, his wife, their son, and their daughter will be arriving for their 6 day stay at our house. In 15 days, my mom and her fiancé are getting married.

Has my bridesmaid dress been hemmed yet? It's in progress.

I planned a quilt for my 4 month old nephew; have I started that yet? Actually I did but I discovered today that I have to redo all of the work I've done so far (one full day's worth).

Is my house clean for their impending visit? It's not bad but I still have some work to do.

Have I started planning the family party that's scheduled for the day after the wedding? Hmmm... nope!

Do I have any time this weekend to get started on any of the above list? Not exactly! Tomorrow is the Sabbath. On Sunday morning, I'm racing in a 5k just north of Phoenix. In the afternoon, I'm driving with my mom and her fiancé to pick up my niece and deliver her to my brother, who will be meeting us an hour south of here.

Am I complaining? Not really. Just lamenting the fact that I can't seem to learn the simple lesson of planning ahead and being prepared. Some of my earliest school memories involve staying up really late and getting up super early to finish a project that was assigned a month earlier. Oops! That was 20 years ago and I'm still doing the same thing.

I'm claiming this promise:

I will lift up my eyes to the hills—
From whence comes my help?
My help comes from the LORD,
Who made heaven and earth.

He will not allow your foot to be moved;
He who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, He who keeps Israel
Shall neither slumber nor sleep.

The LORD is your keeper;
The LORD is your shade at your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,
Nor the moon by night.

The LORD shall preserve you from all evil;
He shall preserve your soul.
The LORD shall preserve your going out and your coming in
From this time forth, and even forevermore.
Psalm 121


I'm not claiming it because I'm hoping God will help me get everything done in time. I'm claiming this promise because God cares about the deeper matter - my sin of procrastination. The Lord is my keeper and I know this is a habit He wants me to overcome. With His help and guidance, I can do it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am terrible with procrastination too! I think a lot of women are. Recently I came accross a website that has really encouraged me and helped me get some solid solutions to my problems. Have you ever heard of the FlyLady? I know it sounds like something from a science fiction novel, but she is actually very cool! I found her website while browsing the internet one day. Google her. :) I forgot the website address off hand! God bless in your effort to overcome procrastination!