Friday, November 13, 2009

Vegan Pumpkin Pie

There is no phrase to describe how I've felt about my latest kitchen adventures other than "tickled pink." Over the last two days, every time I step into the kitchen, I have been absolutely tickled pink. I tried something new and it was successful!

We found painted pie pumpkins on clearance the day after Halloween. I bought two. On Wednesday, I decided it was time to see if I could cook a pumpkin correctly.

First I cut my pumpkin in half and scooped out all the seeds. I felt like I was a kid again, playing in the slimy seeds and innards of a pumpkin. Picking out all the seeds by hand was easy. Then I started the more difficult process of scraping out all of the membrane.

I put the pumpkin halves face down in a baking pan and added 1/2 inch of water. Then I baked the pumpkin at 450 degrees for 45 minutes.

Here's what it looked like after being baked:


After it cooled off a bit, I scraped it out of the shell, which was a very simple matter of peeling off the shell:


I threw the cooked pumpkin in the food processor:


I ran out of time to make pumpkin pie so I refrigerated the pumpkin overnight. Yesterday morning, I started making pie (this is my own recipe).

Vegan Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients
2 c. pumpkin, cooked and blended
3/4 c. sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ginger
1/4 t. cloves
1/2 t. nutmeg
12 oz. tofu, drained and blended

Directions
1. Cream the pumpkin and sugar together.

2. Add spices and tofu.

3. Cook at 425 degrees for 15 minutes and then 350 degrees for 40 minutes.


Next time I'm going to increase the cinnamon and possibly the nutmeg. The pie turned out really well but tasted like it needed a bit more spice. I just need to learn to make pie crusts and then the whole pie will be homemade!

4 comments:

h2ovapor said...

Looks really good. Will have to try this sometime. I would like to make pumpkin muffins, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin bread & maybe even pumpkin pancakes. I love pumpkin, but I've never liked pumpkin pie. I guess I'm just strange. I really like pumpkin butter too, although I don't know how one would make it. It's a lot like apple butter.

motherofmany said...

I just now saw your comment to me on Dawn's site. I'll get back to you on the topic of soul sleep as soon as I can!

;)

Cassandra said...

Thanks, Amy! I really appreciate it. :)

Not the Waltons said...

Beautiful! It is wonderful learning to cook and bake! I have never attempted a pie other than potpie...maybe for THanksgiving I will try something out! Thank you for the inspiration!

Blessings!