Wednesday, March 7, 2012

D9P quilting completed

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


I am finally able to join in at WIP Wednesday. I've been wanting to join ever since I found the link up but didn't have anything to show.


Quilting complete!

I finally finished the quilting on my Double 9 Patch quilt. This is only the third quilt that I've machine quilted and it's the biggest one so far. It was definitely a learning experience. Half way through the quilt, I finally figured out how to start and end my quilting lines without leaving a big knot on the back of the quilt.


Quilt Front

Surprisingly, the quilt does lay flatter than it shows in this photo. I was surprised to have no major bunches in the quilting and I think it's a case of beginner's luck! Either that or because I went overboard and used spray binding AND pinned the entire quilt.


Quilt Back

For the back, I made a mistake which I think is due to not enough pinning in the border. The pieced strip goes really crooked on the top of the quilt and it looks funny. You can kind of see it in this photo but it's more obvious up close.


Binding Selection

For the binding, I am using this floral fabric that is used in the center of each of the 9 patch blocks. I think it'll work fairly well. Tomorrow I'll be sewing strips together to make the binding long enough to go around the entire quilt. I had a scare this afternoon when I went looking for the leftover purple fabric! I only found half of it and was about a foot short. Thankfully, I dumped out a bag of fabric and found another half yard folded on the bottom. Whew! If I hadn't found the other fabric, I'm not sure which print I would have used.

I can't wait to be done with this quilt and move on to my next one! I don't yet know what quilt pattern I will choose, but I will have fun looking.

3 comments:

make.share.give said...

This looks great! That's a lot of quilting. I bought some basting glue a while back but have been afraid to try it. Looks like it works fine for you :)

Mama Pea said...

What a cute quilt! Love that you are brave enough to machine quilt it yourself. I'm still working on that. Your back looks pretty good to me!

Sheba said...

awesome quilt! I've always wanted to make one.. maybe one day. Many Blessings!