Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Tuesday reading

My reading time this week has dropped a bit as we've been concentrating on adoption paperwork.

I'm still reading both Radical Homemakers and Twenty Years After.

I finished reading Through Gates of Splendor, which I thought was a very inspiring story but a dry telling. I also finished reading Parenting Adopted Adolescents: Understanding and Appreciating Their Journeys. I thought the book was more intimidating than helpful at this point, as we haven't met our child and have no idea what types of issues she will actually struggle with. A lot of the stories seemed to be rather pessimistic. Surely all adoptions can't be so incredibly challenging.


My current adoption read is 20 Things Adoptive Parents Need to Succeed. This book seems a bit more helpful in terms of preparing to adopt, being aware of what a child might be thinking about adoption in general, the role of birth parents and adoptive parents, and the search for identity.

I'm off to continue cleaning my kitchen. I seem to be on a cleaning streak these days...

1 comment:

Julie Fukuda said...

My eldest daughter and her husband have three adopted children, all from Korea. Of course they were adopted as infants. The agency has a good system of camp program to help with Korean identity issues. An acquaintance in New England adopted a pre-teen from Russia and I think he had a rough start. For one year I did "Flat Stanley" mail to him ... as did many overseas friends, and that helped him with his reading issues.