Thursday, April 15, 2010

One quilt complete and ready to start the next!



I finally finished my first quilt!! Now I can take it to church on Sabbath and drop it off. I procrastinated way too long on finishing it but I am happy to say that it is finally complete.

This quilt was a huge learning experience. I've never sewn my own clothes or worked on a quilt. I barely know how to crochet. The only handiwork I've completed is cross-stitching. This was very different. Putting the blocks together was the easy part. Getting all the blocks to line up on the quilt and have the dimensions come out correctly was difficult. Tying the whole thing together wasn't hard, but sewing around the border and sewing the quilt shut was a huge challenge. For some reason, my blocks shifted while working on the border and everything tilts down to the left.

I am a perfectionist (to a fault) and it's hard to see so many mistakes. However, the ladies at church told me I was doing a wonderful job for my first attempt. The next one will be better!



The photo above shows the fabrics my mom and I chose for Hazel's mystery quilt. We start on Sunday. I can't wait!

7 comments:

h2ovapor said...

Sounds like you & your mom are going to have fun. Are those your cute little feet poking out? :)

Cassandra said...

LOL. Yes, those are my feet.

Unknown said...

Congrats on your quilt! What a great handiwork skill to have.

Cassandra said...

Thanks Ann! I really enjoy learning how to quilt, though I'm slow at it. Hopefully this next quilt will be faster.

Ann said...

Cassandra,
Your quilt is lovely. I wish I had your patience.

Cassandra said...

Thanks, Ann. If you had been there for the process, you wouldn't think I was all that patient. ;) Jeff could tell you about all the yelling when I discovered I had done something incorrectly and had to rip it all out. But it was a lot of fun!

Cherie said...

Congrats on the quilt. I'm working on my second now, I had committed to make two, and I've about decided it's just not my thing. However, the second one is better than the first, and it's fun to tie them with friends.