Monday, April 1, 2013

As patient as Christ...

I love comparing more modern translations with the KJV.

"And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ" (KJV).

I always took this text to mean that we are seeking to understand the love of God and patiently waiting for Christ to return.

The more modern translations have altered my understanding of the text.

"I pray that the Lord will guide you to be as loving as God and as patient as Christ" (CEV).

The NASB translates this verse similarly to the CEV.

"May the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the steadfastness of Christ" (NASB).

Dealing with those stubborn, hotheaded, slow-learning disciples day in and day out for three years shows that Jesus has an awful lot of patience! May I become as patient as He is!

No comments: