Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Earth Day 2009



Happy Earth Day!!


When I started thinking of ways that hubby and I support green living, I was surprised at how many small changes we've implemented.

  • Use a water filter instead of buying bottled water

  • Bought a reusable water bottle to regulate my daily intake

  • Started walking to the store/bank/post office to minimize driving and gas consumption

  • Reuse plastic shopping bags to clean out the cat box

  • Sometimes ask for paper bags. We store all our recyclables in a paper bag and then throw the entire bag into the recycle bins

  • We've started printing on both sides of paper

This website is a great resource to get involved and learn more. Green Living Tips is another great resource. Sign up for their free e-newsletter and they will plant a new tree.

According to the ecological footprint quiz, I need to reduce my carbon footprint. If everyone lived like me, we would need 3.2 planet earths to provide enough resources. I use 14.3 global acres of land and produce 15.7 tons of carbon dioxide. Looks like I still have some work to do!

Goals
  • Buy locally if possible

  • Visit the farmers market during the summer. They have great homemade salsas!

  • Switch to reusable shopping bags

  • Reduce our dependency on electricity - hand wash dishes as much as possible, use clothes dryer less

  • Eliminate dairy products

  • Recycle more

Hopefully, enough people can make small changes so that we don't require 3 planets to support human life.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

hey, good for you! You have wonderful goals and are making big strides. I read somewhere, though, that dishwashers are not necessarily more energy-consuming than hand-washing in that you can use your DW in a 'greener' way and sometimes handwashing dishes results in unnecessary water waste, etc. while most energy-efficient DWs use a minimum of water that they heat up themselves...something like that. Use the DW only once a day, if possible, and turn it off for the drying cycle (open the door to air-dry). I use Shaklee DW detergent (highly concentrated) that doesn't have all the toxins in it that even some handsoaps do-- it does a better job, too, than some of the other 'earth-friendly' DW detergents (often their big downfall is the fact that while they are the green choice they don't do the job we have come to expect). I like the hygienic aspects of a DW... germs get well and truly killed. Well, that is enough of that, eh? Thanks for letting me rant here. And keep up the good work!