Thursday, July 23, 2009

Clutter

I can't believe I slept for two hours this afternoon. I was sleepy after lunch, laid down on the bed, and woke up two hours later! Must have needed it.

Is it considered a good thing when I look around and am not sure if I have any housework that needs to be done? I know there is always housework to be done, but all the major stuff was done today. The kitchen floors have been mopped, all the dishes are washed, the toilet is clean, the carpets are vacuumed... I actually went into our spare bedroom and started cleaning.

Our spare bedroom is terrible. We still have stuff in boxes from when we moved in over three and a half years ago. That really makes me wonder if we need those boxes. If we threw them away, would we know what was missing? Some of the clutter is due to us selling our bookshelves a couple months ago, so there are piles and piles of books all over. We have nowhere else to put them. There is no furniture in that bedroom, so it's just boxes, stacks of books, and clothes. Our dresser broke a couple months ago and all our clothes ended up in the spare bedroom so that the cats wouldn't lay on them and share all their fur.

That bedroom is a mess! I've been going in there for the last couple days and (each day) finding five things that can be thrown away/recycled/given away. It's already made a visible difference, though I have a LONG way to go. There are also several boxes of old baseball, basketball, football, and hockey cards. Still not sure what I'm going to do with those... I don't want to keep them but I'm sure there are cards with value in those albums. Is it worth the time to sort through thousands of cards to find the few that are worth a few dollars? I haven't yet decided. And so they sit.

2 comments:

DanniellaAnn said...

Well, this one definately caught my eye. I have the same clutter problem, but oh how I wish it was confined to one room! Well most is in the attic but that doesn't technically count. I don't think if you've got boxes from 3 1/2 years ago that you'd miss them. But if you open them you will find a reason to keep whatever is in it. Weird huh? I have the same problem, and am verging on just donating it all to Goodwill. Everytime I go through a box I find less and less to keep. eventually it will be all gone right?

Cassandra said...

Eventually it will all be gone. lol. I hate to throw a box away without looking at it but I find I'm actually keeping very little. For some reason, I'm just tired of STUFF. I want to move into a smaller apartment to save rent but right now we have too much junk to fit into a smaller apartment. But we have no money! How did we get so much stuff with no money?!

Good luck with all your sorting and Goodwill donations!