Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Adventures in Cooking Without Dairy

My husband and I are very lucky in that most of our food preferences overlap. Occasionally we run into some minor differences, such as my love/his dislike of peas and his love/my dislike of mayonnaise. Blech.

Probably one of our biggest differences in taste involves soup. I LOVE soups, whether it's vegetable soup, taco soup, tomato soup, etc. Hubby doesn't exactly dislike soup, but he prefers it not to be the main course for dinner. I can eat a bowl of soup and a slide of bread and be content. He prefers something more solid.

Thankfully, hubby is awesome about letting me try out new recipes! I bribed him on this one, promising him a loaf of fresh garlic bread on the side. So, tonight we are finally trying out the curried butternut soup. It looks yummy!

First I found this awesome tutorial on how to peel and cut butternut squash. Oddly enough, I've never done it before and wanted to find a pain free method.



Beautiful!

The only problem with my butternut squash is that it looks exactly like cut squares of cheddar cheese. I've been vegan now for 11 months but sharp cheddar cheese was one of my favorite forms of dairy. Give me a block of Tillamook extra sharp cheddar and I was a very happy person. I used to make pasta salad quite often - WackyMac veggie spiral noodles, olives, cucumber, peas, ranch dressing, and little cubes of sharp cheddar cheese. YUM! I miss my (very unhealthy) pasta salad.

As soon as hubby is finished with work, we'll run over to the grocery store and pick up a loaf of french bread so that I can make garlic bread. One of these days, I really need to learn how to make my own french bread... Hopefully the soup tastes as awesome as it looks in the recipe photo!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cassandra,

How did your curried butternut soup turn-out? I'm not sure if I would like the flavor of curry in my soup though.

You used to like cheddar cheese too, eh? Yes, so did I, but I gave that up several years ago when I was trying to loose weight. Now, we just stick to the white cheeses.

Blessings,

-Lady Rose

Anonymous said...

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.