Saturday, January 7, 2012

Bible Alone - Week 1

For January's 30 day challenge, I decided that I wanted to spend the entire month reading only the Bible. No other books, whether they be fiction or nonfiction. I was very tempted to allow myself to read books about the Bible but I knew I would end up reading those instead of the Bible. That's not the point of the challenge... I wanted to spend the first month of the year immersing myself in God's word.

In the course of one week, I've read -
Judges 12-21
Ruth
1 Samuel
2 Samuel 1-4

I like this pace of reading. It's not as fast as the Bible in 90 Days, so I don't feel like I'm just skimming. But I am reading fast enough that I'm getting entire stories in one sitting rather than disjointed chapters.

Unfortunately, I've been sick since Tuesday. This has seriously challenged my decision to read no books but the Bible. I have wanted so badly to curl up on the couch with a fluffy and entertaining fiction book. Thankfully, I've kept to my resolve! It has been a blessing this week and I look forward to three more weeks of the challenge.

No comments: