Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Concrete Goals for 2013

Kat has been discussing goals recently and how important it is to create specific goals rather than general New Years resolutions. My second 2013 resolution is to become more intentional, to spend my time more productively. I thought it would prove useful to write up specific goals and completion dates for several of the most important areas of my life.

Quilting
Abstract Goal - To improve my quilting skills.

Concrete Goals
  • Participate in the 350 Blocks Project. I have no intention of completing 350 blocks as that is way more than I have completed in the past three years total! But I am going to use the project as an opportunity to push myself to finish more (ongoing).
  • Complete four quilts this year. I am currently working on two, a personal lap-sized quilt (March 31) and a baby quilt (Feb 28) for my husband's college friends' baby. I also want to start and finish a quilt for my new nephew (April 30).

Japanese
Abstract Goal - To become fluent.

Concrete Goals
  • 30 minutes of study time each and every day (ongoing).
  • Find a language exchange pen pal and write an email once per week (Jan 31).
  • Take the JLPT N3 exam in December 2013. The exam tests reading and listening comprehension and is only offered once a year outside of Japan. We have a testing center here in Seattle. (Registration opens in the fall.)

Health
Abstract Goal - To lose weight.

Concrete Goals
  • Incorporate more fresh food in my diet by including at least one fruit or vegetable at every meal (start by Jan 31).
  • Start eating raw breakfasts at least three times each week (start by Jan 31).
  • Run at least three times per week and train to race a 10k by the end of the year (ongoing).

Homemaking
Abstract Goal - To become a better homemaker.

Concrete Goals
  • Finish organizing my recipe book so that I actually utilize it (March 31).
  • Try at least two new healthy recipes per week (ongoing).
  • Create and follow my daily chores list (Feb 15).

Of course, this does not cover all areas of my life. While I appreciate the challenge of tackling each of these goals, I am a bit overwhelmed by the number of changes it will require. This is why I will have to prioritize and revisit these goals often to make changes based on what is or is not working. I know that January is almost over but there is no better time than now to refocus!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Great post Cassandra, it got me thinking. I may write some goals like this down too.
I don't know if you have ever looked at Paleo or Whole 30 but I have been eating this way now since the start of November and have been amazed at the health benefits plus weight loss. If you want any info, just email me.
Blessings, my friend
Amy @ Missional Mama

Anonymous said...

I don't think I could make a list like this. I have always tried to make certain goals for myself in the past, and no matter how I "planned them," something "always came up," and I had to change them. So now, I just take one day at a time and let God help me plan my life. I wish you the best with your goals though! :)

make.share.give said...

The end of January is the perfect time to check the progress on your goals!

Anonymous said...

We must all be in the same wavelength! The way you have define them, make perfect sense :)