Sunday, February 28, 2010

On My Nightstand - March


5 Minutes for Books
I've been reading a lot this week while I've been sick. My book pile is starting to get rather small. I checked out a couple more books today but they are all specific to fulfilling reading challenges.



Fiction
Emma & Knightley, by Rachel Billington - I need to work on my Jane Austen reading challenge.
Knit the Season, by Kate Jacobs - I've read a couple of books by this author and have enjoyed every one of them.
Vanity and Vexation, by Kate Fenton - Another book for the Jane Austen challenge.
Just Jane, by Nancy Moser - I really enjoyed the last Moser book I read about Elizabeth Barrett Browning and I'm really looking forward to this book.

Memoir
My Life in France, by Julia Child - I've seen Julie & Julia (wasn't impressed) but wante to read Child's memoir. She seems like an interesting person.
A Thousand Days in Venice, by Marlena De Blasi - I've heard great things about this book.
A Thousand Days in Tuscany, by Marlena De Blasi - The sequel to A Thousand Days in Venice.
Scheisshaus Luck, by Pierre Berg - I'm sure this book will make me cry, but I've always been interested in this time period.

Nonfiction
If God is Good, by Randy Alcorn - I'm not sure I'm going to get to this book before it's due back at the library, but I will certainly try.

2 comments:

Ann@His Grace To Me said...

Wow, what an interesting array of books!How do you find the books you've chosen? Sounds like some fun evenings of reading are ahead.

Cassandra said...

Ann, I read a couple of book blogs and mark down books that sound interesting to me. I have a wishlist on Amazon that I use to keep track of books that I want to check out from the library. Then, when I'm getting ready to visit the library, I go through that list and pick out a few books that the library has available.

I hardly ever just browse the shelves. The only browsing I do is the "New Book Shelf" at our library, which has a big stack of books that the library has obtained in the past 3 months or so. Some of those books are newly released and others are just older books that the library has decided to carry.

Are you aware of Goodreads.com? I use that site to keep track of everything I've finished reading and I try to put a short review of each book. Then I see what friends are reading to see if any of their books look interesting and add them to my Amazon.com library list.

I love to read! :) :)