Saturday, April 16, 2011

Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath

For the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.
Matthew 12:8


I had plans to write a fancy blog post about the Sabbath but right now I just have thankfulness in my heart. No grandiose thoughts, only a heartfelt thankfulness for being blessed with the Sabbath.

My husband worked some crazy hours this week. On Wednesday night, he was up until 1AM. Thursday night, he wasn't finished with work until 3:30AM. We are tired. I don't stay up quite that late, but I stay up as late as possible to keep him company. We try to sleep in as much as possible but the cats start bugging around 5AM.

So, when Friday night comes around, we are usually exhausted but ecstatic that Sabbath has arrived. Last night we collapsed into bed at 8 and slept for 12 hours.

Anyways, I am really having a hard time putting thoughts together. I said all of that to say that I am so glad that the Sabbath did not end with Christ's death. We still have a weekly rest day, a day to spend in communion with God. We need the Sabbath every week. Christ knew we would need a day to recuperate and spend with Him. It was a huge gift to mankind and I am so grateful for it.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I sounds like you really needed the Sabbath! We certainly enjoyed ours... Wonderful sermon on the road and great fellowship!