Thursday, March 4, 2010

Bible in 90 Days - Day 62

Today I completed Ezekiel. The schedule only had me reading through chapter 47, but I decided to read an extra chapter so I could finish the book. I found several texts that I want to study more in depth. Instead of posting them here, I want to discuss them with hubby to see if he can explain them.

I did find one text that reinforces the idea that a heart change comes before behavior modification.

For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land.

Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.

A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.

And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them

Ezekiel 36:24-27.


In these verses, God says that He will give us a new heart and His spirit. When that happens, we will walk in God's statutes, keep His judgments, and do them. That is powerful. It's not my determination that will cause me to keep God's commandments. Instead, I need to ask Him for a new heart, for His spirit in me. As a result of that new heart and His spirit, I will want and be able to follow God's laws out of love to Him and others around me.

No comments: