Thursday, March 11, 2010

Bible in 90 Days - Day 69

Today's reading covered Matthew 5 through 15. What spoke the most to me was this passage in Matthew 15.

Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying,

This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men

Matthew 15:7-9.


This idea makes me a bit nervous. Christ is telling the scribes and Pharisees that while they think they are doing all the right things, they are actually being hypocrites. They are keeping the commandments, making up all these little rules for themselves that will make commandment keeping easier. But Christ calls their bluff. He tells them they are worshiping in vain because their hearts are not in the right place.

My church, like all churches, teaches that they are a commandment keeping church. They have guidelines that are supposed to keep people on the straight and narrow. Guidelines about jewelry, makeup, worship, music, food, etc. But if my heart isn't in Christ, my worship will be vain. I pray that God will keep my spirit teachable, that I will love Him and everyone else with the purest of intentions.

No comments: