Saturday, March 20, 2010

Bible in 90 Days - Day 78

Today's reading, Acts 7 through 16, provoked wonder and some questions. It's amazing how people responded to the preaching of the disciples. Thousands were saved in one day! What was it about their preaching that was so on fire? Was it their conviction in what they had seen and knew about Christ? Was it their preaching style? The simplicity of the message? Or was it that their faith combined with the Holy Spirit was convicting people of the truth about Christ?

I also have a question about a text. I can't build doctrine on only one text, but this is the first time in this read-through that I'm seeing this idea.

And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed
Acts 13:48.


My first thought is that I'm not understanding King James' Version of this text and that I need to look it up in another translation.

When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed. - NIV


When the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord; and as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed. - NASB


When the Gentiles heard this, they were very glad and thanked the Lord for his message; and all who were chosen for eternal life became believers. - NLT


Nope, they all say the same thing.

The simplest explanation is that every single person who heard the message believed. Everyone is chosen. But I'm not sure that is what this text says.

I am reminded of this text, from the mouth of Christ:

For many are called, but few are chosen
Matthew 22:14.


I will definitely need to study this further.

No comments: