Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Bible in 90 Days - Day 74

Today I covered Luke 10 through 20. I challenged myself to keep my eyes on Christ, to focus on what He was saying and doing. I had to remind myself several times to focus on Christ but the reading went well.

I marked one passage during my reading.

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
Luke 11:13


For some reason, I only knew this passage as it is worded in Matthew.

If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
Matthew 7:11


The first part of each passage is identical. The second half is where they differ. Matthew says that my Father will give me "good things" if I ask. This is how I've always understood this promise. However, Luke says that my Father will give "the Holy Spirit" if I ask. Luke's version is so much more powerful. Good things are always a blessing. But the Holy Spirit being in my life is vitally important. This passage promises that I all I have to do is ask.

No comments: