Thursday, January 14, 2010

Bible in 90 Days - Day 14

Two weeks into this reading challenge and I am already very close to finishing the Pentateuch. Today's reading was Deuteronomy 8 through 23. One more day of reading and I will be finished with the first five books of the Old Testament.

There was a directive from God that was repeated often in these chapters. The wording varied a bit from verse to verse but the principle was the same.

Observe and hear all these words which I command thee, that it may go well with thee, and with thy children after thee for ever, when thou doest that which is good and right in the sight of the LORD thy God
Deuteronomy 12:28.


Behold, I set before you this day a blessing and a curse;
A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God,
which I command you this day:
And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God,
but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day,
to go after other gods, which ye have not known
Deuteronomy 11:26-28.


The children of Israel were given a choice. Obey the Lord and enjoy His blessings or disobey and face the punishment. I believe we are given the same choice today. I can choose to follow God's commands and enjoy His blessings (though they may not be immediate, but eternal) or I can disobey and face the consequences. It's up to me if I want to obey.

No comments: