Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Bible in 90 Days - Day 5

Today I read through the entire story of the plagues and the Israelites' exodus from Egypt. I am very familiar with this story as I used it as the basis for my novel in November. However, when I read the story for Nano, I read it one plague at a time and picked it apart. I was very focused on if I could tell how long the plague lasted, where Moses and Aaron were when they confronted Pharaoh, who that plague affected, what Pharaoh's response was, etc. Today, I read it like a storybook. Very different experience.

I still have questions about God "hardening Pharaoh's heart." I've heard a couple explanations, but none that rang true. Most explanations say that God allowed Pharaoh's heart to be hardened, but that He didn't actually cause it. The text specifically says in a number of places that "God hardened Pharaoh's heart."

Oh, how I wish I understood Hebrew so that I could read the original text. I know I miss so much because I don't understand the culture and because the language was so different than English. The best example I can think of regarding language differences is Job 1:9.

Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?


The word "fear" in English typically means to be afraid, a very negative connotation. In Hebrew, the word actually means "to revere," "to worship," or "to be in awe of."

When I read the above verse, I know that Job worships God, reveres Him, and is in awe of Him. That meaning is very different from Satan asking the Lord if Job is afraid of Him.

1 comment:

Chic Mama said...

Hey there! Visiting form the B90Days challenge and just wanted to stop in and say "hello" and that I just sent up a prayer for you!

How interesting it must be for you to be reading the plagues so differently! Is the novel you wrote being published?

May the Lord bless you today and all through this year!