Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Bible in 90 Days - Day 6

I've already read more than half of Exodus, today completing chapters 16 through 28. One more day in Exodus and then I'm into the challenging material - laws, numbers, and genealogies.

Several observations about today's reading...

Then went up Moses, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel: And they saw the God of Israel: and there was under his feet as it were a paved work of a sapphire stone, and as it were the body of heaven in his clearness. And upon the nobles of the children of Israel he laid not his hand: also they saw God, and did eat and drink
Exodus 24:9-11.


I would have loved to see this in person. Can you imagine? Seeing God. Seeing the pavement under His feet. Being at peace enough with God to eat and drink there. Amazing.

The only trace of sadness in the above text is that Nadab and Abihu were present at this event and they still disobeyed God. They later committed a sin so grievous that they were killed on the spot. Seeing God once is no guarantee that you will continue to live a righteous life. I believe that's where daily prayer, daily study, and daily communion with God are necessary.

My second thought is one I've heard preached on a number of times. Israel was blessed by God. They were cared for by God. First they were taken out of Egypt. Then they were protected from the Egyptians as they crossed the sea. They found bitter water and God made it sweet. They were lacking food and God provided quail and manna. They ran out of water and God provided it from a rock. They were attacked by the Amalekites and God made them victorious. And yet. The big YET. They forgot it all. They continued to complain. They wanted to return to Egypt. They wanted to die.

How often am I like this? God provides for me every day, even though it's not always as visible a provision as the Israelites were given. And yet I continue to worry, to fret about the future. I complain when things go wrong. I need to cultivate a spirit of gratefulness and trust. God always provides for His children. I am His child. He will provide for me.

Hopefully I can remember this lesson tomorrow when I'm faced with a petty frustration.

No comments: